Monday, March 21, 2011

Everyone has to put their two cents in

When J was an infant her skin was awful, always covered in exzema , red, or open sores and someone always had come up with a cure. Use this cream it's good because it's from Portugal, was from my mothers mouth, desperate and sleep deprived I put a little on her skin and in seconds she began howling and scratching. ' oh I forgot that it burns,, sorry' was what my mother said. Then after we discovered the milk allergy I had a few family members and even 'friends' trying to give her a little milk or things with milk in it that way she would grow out of it. Or being told, by a lady in a bakery, well I drink milk and I'm lactose intolerante, give her a little it won't hurt her.
But not only, well meaning people, but even the pediatrician had her own advice, she was worried about her weight gain and that she hadn't gained in a while..of course she hadnt gained j was walking, more like running everywhere. After reminding her a few times about the milk allergy the pediatrician gave me a can of pediasure and told me to get her to drink that. Ok, so I took the small can, opened it n poured it into her sippy cup. She had smelt the liquid and nodded no, but in desperation I got her to drink a tiny sip. A few seconds later she began throwing up like the scene in the movie the exersist all over the back seat in the car. Luckily we were a minute away from the hospital. Her first official allergic reaction. Needless to say that I lernt my lesson first read all labels even if it cam from a doctor and second never went back to see that pediatrician.
The latest is isn't there a pill for her to take so she can have milk, my friend has celiac and he sometimes eats pasta and rye bread, can't you get the that peanut cure, where they eat peanut flour....sorry thanks for the advise but no thanks. For some people I explain the differences in allergies, intallerances, and deceases, but while its helpful for some and the quickly realize how silly they sounded, for others it's a waist of time and energy.
Yes, thank you for the bad advice, rude comments and odd looks, but this is my life and I'm going to make it better and easier for my girls.
since having both girls and discovering the long list of allergies, I have heard every comment and price of advice from my children are picky, why they don't eat the crap that makes everyone fat and sick, to oh poor things what do they eat and they are so deprived.
My girls are happy, healthy loving children who enjoy eating and do not feel deprived. I have made it one of my goals for my girls not to feel deprived and that they cannot be like every one of their friends, but they know mommy will always to her best to make them feel special, loved and that they can eat whatever they like. That is if it's made by mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment